Jeff Gordon to run one more full season

Concord, NC (SportsNetwork.com) – Jeff Gordon has announced that 2015 will be
his last as a full-time driver on the NASCAR Sprint Cup circuit.

The four-time champion told his Hendrick Motorsports team about the decision
Thursday morning, not calling it a retirement.

“I thought long and hard about my future this past year and during the
offseason, and I’ve decided 2015 will be the last time I compete for a
championship,” Gordon said Thursday. “I won’t use the ‘R-word’ because I plan
to stay extremely busy in the years ahead, and there’s always the possibility
I’ll compete in selected events, although I currently have no plans to do
that.”

Gordon has driven for Rick Hendrick since November 1992. In addition to Cup
championships in 1995, ’97, ’98 and 2001, he has 92 wins and 77 pole
positions.

The 43-year-old California native is third on the all-time wins list, behind
only Richard Petty (200) and David Pearson (105). He has three Daytona 500
victories, a record five Brickyard 400 wins and is the circuit’s all-time
winningest road course driver with nine.

“There’s simply no way to quantify Jeff’s impact,” said Hendrick. “He’s one of
the biggest sports stars of a generation, and his contributions to the success
and growth of NASCAR are unsurpassed. There’s been no better ambassador for
stock car racing and no greater representation of what a champion should be. I
will never be able to properly express the respect and admiration I have for
Jeff and how meaningful our relationship is to me. I’m so grateful for
everything he’s done for our company and my family, and I look forward to many
more years together as friends and business partners.”

Gordon had four wins last year, 14 top-five finishes and a series-leading 23
top-10s. He finished sixth in the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship.